Welcome

WELCOME  
Please check out my general fiction blog Pick of the Literate  or    Money Saving Tech Tips blog
or visit my web site to see the children's books which I have authored.

October 2014 Is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

October 2014 Is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Domestic violence has generated enormous press with the NFL the last few weeks. However domestic violence is not limited to over paid athletes. Domestic violence plagues ordinary people, every single day. I am offering the Kindle version of Mommy's Black Eye FREE from October 1st to October 5th to promote awareness of domestic violence.

Spanish Version El ojo morado de Mama


Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Forbidden The Stars by Valmore Daniels


I often refer to other books when I recommend. That is not in any way denigrating either one I am commenting on. I had visions of Clark’s 2001 when I read this book. Actually I had strong recollections of being in the movies at the release of the movie. My wife, good sport that she is, has no interest in scifi but went with me anyway. I was quietly trying to explain the rather confusing opening when two couples in front of us asked if I could speak not more quietly, which I expected, but more loudly as I apparently was the only one in the vicinity who had read the book and had some clue what was going on in the movie. All of which has little or nothing to do with this book. A near future world, dominated by corporate entities, discovers an alien artifact on Pluto. That in combination with the inadvertent and deadly discovery of a potential FTL fuel leads to intrigue and deceit.

I found the author’s portrayal of Michael (corporate exec) and Justine’s (pilot) concern for Alex to be a nice side bar to the story. It was refreshing to have some compassion shown in a very cutthroat setting. The story moved well and tied together Mayan mythology with purely human vices of greed and revenge. I’ll be surprised if there isn’t a sequel, if there is I will be reading it.

I recommend it.

Body of work of Valmore Daniels

Site: http://valmoredaniels.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment